Search This Blog

Monday, July 27, 2009

Success or flop?

I'm a watercolorist, and I started this blog as a way to display my artwork, talk about art and network with other artists, and just put stuff out there. I thought a good way to start would be to share my "success or flop" story.

I painted my original "Jack in the Green" (immediately below) in 2006, and I guess it's up for debate whether the painting was a success or not. I entered it in a charity art show staged at a local hospital, and out of the 50 or so paintings in the show, it was the one that was stolen off the wall. The thief just took it and walked out the nearest exit. So my question has always been ... did it offend to such a degree the thief wanted it out of sight or was it just something they felt they couldn't live without (and preferred not to pay for). So ... success or flop?

"Jack in the Green" , © M B Gilliland 2006

It was a new experience for me, having artwork stolen, and I have to admit it rancored, but the hospital was gracious enough to pay the asking price for it since the theft occurred on their property and their security was apparently lax.

It helped being reimbursed what I would have made had it been properly sold, but as time passed, the theft still bugged me, and eventually I decided I'd just paint it again and keep the thief from having a "one of a kind" anymore. (I know, convoluted thinking ... but, hey, it got me working on a new painting!) The result was "Jack in the Green II" (below), and truthfully, of the two paintings, I think the thief got the lesser one. I like the more vibrant colors in the second one, I like the different angle and sizing, and I simply think I did a better job.

You can be the judge:

"Jack in the Green II", © M B Gilliland 2008

When I'm asked about this painting, it's always "is he supposed to be mean ... or what?", and here's what I always say about "Jack": "It's up to you to decide if he's sinister or benevolent and whichever you choose will say alot about your own nature."

Heh! How's that for a stumper?

No comments:

Post a Comment